The History of the Williams Lake Dam, from the 1700s to 2016

The structure of the Williams Lake dam dates back to the 1700’s. At that time it was used as a control for a wood conduit to the North West Arm for the forestry industry of the day in Mainland South. The Williams Lake Conservation Company was formed in 1968 at the suggestion of the Nova Scotia Water Resources Commission (WRC) “in order that the WRC might have a responsible body with which to deal over the reconstruction and maintenance of the dam at the outlet of William’s Lake.”